Friday, March 26, 2010


Neptune Day aka the whole ship pulled a Brittney Spears! Haha

This day has been a tradition of Semester at Sea for many years and I am honestly unsure of the history. It is the day we cross the equator. ☺ The day begins with them waking us up by a band going up and down the halls playing instruments and knocking all of our doors. Many of the faulty is dressed up as “sea gods.” The whole point is to be to be accepted into their kingdom on the ocean. In order for you to be accepted is to get “fish guts” poured over your head and then you have to kiss a fish.   
This semester we had about 50 or so people shave or cut there hair for locks of love. I SHAVED my head! I had one of my friends cut it short for locks of love and then a few other people that I knew cut or shave there head with me as well. I was a bit nervous yet at the same time very excited. As she cut off my braided ponytail and handed it to me she said “ this is going to make a little girl happy,” and with that I got tears in my eyes. However, after that I couldn’t stop and decided I had to go on and shave it off. Ha It was the weirdest feeling ever! I couldn’t believe what I was actually doing! Everyone is around and starring and cheering it was awesome. VERY surreal. Now having it been a few days it feels great! I actually don’t hate myself with no hair. The weirdest thing is showering, but its great cause it dry’s in a few minutes and takes me no time at all to get ready!  I also really like the feeling because its super soft while its also really weird to have to put sunscreen on my head too! I have truly learned that my hair does not define me and I feel more confident and free! The thing that is going to be the most fun is all the different stages as it continues to grow back. I still catch myself doing weird things cause I forget that my hair is gone. It will take awhile for me to remember that MY HAIR IS GONE!!! The day was a great as we hung out by the pool listening to music, having a BBQ and then ended with a talent show. I still can’t believe that I actually did it. I am sorry I am also not going to post any pictures because I would like to be there and see everyone reaction! ☺

2 comments: