Strangely Beautiful and Strikingly Unique
This country truly put many aspects of my life in perspective. I was truly able to grasp the effects of war, communism, poverty, yet the simple pleasure and joy the Vietnamese people possessed. When comparing countries honestly, China to me was a depressing poverty where I felt the government was not taking care of their people, while also showing a bit of animosity towards Americans. On the other hand, Vietnam was one of the most welcoming towards Americans and truly content with their lifestyle. (their happiness level is higher than China
statistically) They seemed to never be striving for any better and although they had very little their faces where full of joy. I have never been in a cultural where I would only simply smile and say hello and feel the warmth and true love of the people. Their warmth opened up a new world of compassion and understanding in my heart. They had their family, food, and a roof and were extremely happy. The one thing that I have realized is seeing past the poverty and looking at the people and countries for how they are. Throughout this entire journey, I have experienced the entire spectrum from human evil and the awful treatment that occurs all over the word as well as the amount of joy humans can express. I have really loved seeing the richness of each country, for instance, Vietnam has 54 languages so its extremely diverse and unique, while majority in Vietnam live on about 40$ a month, so obviously a developing country. The thing I think I loved about this country is the drastic difference in their way of life and mine.
Prior to arriving we had many lectures on Vietnam and the war and I began to have new understanding of the magnitude of the devastation of the war between the US and Vietnam. I am very young and because of that I feel I never truly learned much about it or heard much of it. However, I now feel that experiencing and seeing firsthand the landscape, museums, and people I have begun to understand a bit of the pain and hurt that happened during that time. When walking around the first day in HCMC I saw roughly thirty people affected by, what many professors I have talked to is the aftermath of Agent Orange. Many were as young as five with deformed, shriveled body parts, filled with calluses, blisters, and what looked like leprosy. I wont get into more details, but I had no idea how much was still effecting this entire culture. It was extremely difficult to see the effects of that other humans can do towards others. The Vietnamese population is 75% are below 35 so many of the people in Vietnam have truly moved on from the war, as many did not experience it, but was their parents and grandparents that lived through that time, however, I feel that America is just the opposite.
Well anyways enough about that
The first day we arrived to in Ho Chi Minh City and of course I woke up for the sunrise. It was one of the best yet!! The rice fields were surrounding our boat and little wooden boats surrendered us with men rowing themselves by sticks or bamboo. It was beautiful and seemed a bit surreal. The weather was even hotter and humid, very drastic change from china only to days prior. This is February the 26th and I had no set plans for the day. I walked around the city with five of my friends. We literally just began walking and ran across markets selling everything from pretty much chicken heads to clothing, shoes, DVDs and jewelry. I had never been to a market that was so large. We came across the Notre Dame Cathedral, the City Hall, and the Presidential Palace. The Palace remains the same as April 30, 1975, when North Vietnamese military tanks crashed through the front gates and over through the South. The traffic here is NOTHING to what I have ever seen before! There are thousands of motorbikes and they do not stop at cross walks, they run red lights, and drive on the other side of the road. I have never been so afraid to cross a street. The best way to describe it is by I felt like I was in a video game trying to dodge things in the way, except its my life I was worried about it. I will never be afraid to cross the street again!! There would be a family of four on one bike as well as I often saw an entire ladder with the man holding a bucket of paint or a door in the middle of two people or the two year old would be in-between the two parents just standing up.. Literally, you look around asking if this is truly happening.
My friends and I tried coconut on the street and also tried the famous pho for lunch. In the afternoon, we came across I tailor and I designed my own dress. No going to lie it was more difficult than anyone would think. They literally have books where you pick the style you want, everything from the latest dresses or shirts, stars are wearing, even wedding dresses. Then you go pick your fabric from thousands of different colors and patters, from silk to cotton. It was so much fun! The people working were so sweet and really helpful! (ill tell you a story more about when I picked it up haha) We ran across DVDs and TV shows that were 50 cents apiece. Everything in American money was extremely cheap for us. At night one of my friends mom was doing the SAS parent trip so we went out to dinner with her. It was great to meet one of my good friends mom and have dinner with her!! ? After dinner we walked around more and went into the night markets. The in order to get back home we decided to take what are called cyclos. Kinda difficult to describe, but its like a three-wheeled bike where you are sitting on what to me seems like a chariot it was AWESOME!! So much fun!!
February 26th
I left early in the morning and headed to the Mekong Delta. A few facts about the Delta that I found interesting
18 million people live in the Delta
2nd largest river in South East Asia and the 13th largest in the world
2nd largest exporter of rice
The bus ride to the delta took about tow hours and I love the saying I heard, you dont know all the colors of green until you see rice patties.
We first arrived on the delta and got on the boat. We first stopped at a village called Kai Be where we I ran into women making rice net for spring roles. Some of the girls were even as young as 11. In the same village we saw rice paper, fish sauce (which has one of the most disgusting smells I have ever experienced!! It tastes very bitter and I personally did not like it), we also saw coconut candy made, (I am completely obsessed with it!! SOO GOOD), saw the real way rice crispies are made. While I also tried snake wine, where I had to dip my glass into the bottle where the snake was dead, and even had a scorpion in his mouth in order to get a cup full. It tasted like a really bad shot of something. Very interesting. From this village we took a boat ride to a different side. We then took about a 30 min walk to the Bonzai garden. The walk was incredible. The Mekong Delta is filled with fruit trees!! Naturally they are everywhere we literally would pick the fruit off the tree. It has all different types that I had never heard or seen before, my favorite was the milky apples. ? The river is one of the most peaceful place I have ever been before. It is extremely lush. I could have walked around for hours talking to the people, and embracing the sound of the birds, children laughing, and the water moving. If anyone has read Siddartha I truly felt a connection to the river, It may sound crazy if you havent read to book, but the people on the river I believe are truly happier because they have learned from the river. I was only on it for two days and it will forever change me. The colors in the Delta are beautiful many of the houses are on stilts, with their clothes hanging out front, while some people live on their boats. Although the people have very little and it seems that they have nothing they are truly filled with a spirit of compassion. It is truly strikingly beautiful. We took a ride on a smaller boat, which was one of my favorite on this entire trip!!! As we were riding no one spoke a word for about 30 min or so just trying to soak in everything we were seeing. We saw little kids laughing and playing in the water and a woman washing her clothes in the water. Its a true sense of silence, tranquility, and calm on the river. We then started heading to our home stay. They house we stayed at was on stilts and we slept on cot with the mosquito nets over them. The house was entirely open and was broken up into sections. For example, the kitchen was not connected to the living room. They did have a TV and for couches they have hammocks. The fruit trees where surrounding the back yard and we would go all night and pick fruit that I had never even seen before. The best thing I did was I went on a walk around the house and ran into these little boys who were making a boat out of the leaves. I began to try and communicate with them and they were so filled with laughter. I almost even missed them because the trees were so thick. It was surreal. Before dinner we even jumped into the Delta! Yes, I got to swim in the Mekong Delta. I didnt bring my suit so I swam in my clothes! We were told over and over again not to swim, so it was actually a really freeing experience! Haha Its was awesome!!! They made us a dinner and it literally was a whole fried fish. They entire thing was on the plate. Its was interesting. Then they gave us a performance at night. The people in the Mekong Delta are some of the happiest people I have ever seen and I think it is because of their relaxed nature. It was an amazing experience. This was probably the highlight of all of Vietnam. We spent the rest of the evening talking and hanging out. The most peaceful place I think I have ever been too.
February 27th
We woke up in the morning at around 5am due to the roosters and birds. I LOVED it though. We first went to this live market. Every single animals possible from pigs, snakes, rooster, chicken, fish and they would literally chop up the animal in front of you. The noise and smell of the entire market really affected me. I have never seen animals getting a bit tortured for food. The hearts of the fish were still beating as the chopped it up. It was awful
I am officially I full vegetarian! Not a joke. It was really difficult for me to see I have noticed in most of Asia that the people do not see animals as animals until they are eating them. We also went to a brick making factory on the delta, where the make everything possible out of clay.
We then went to two different pagodas in a different town called Can Tho. The first one was a more modern pagoda where they have renovated their religion. It was a old warehouse building that they had completely filled statues and was filed color possible. To me it looked like a circus. They love incense throughout entire Asia and this pagoda was filled with people lighting and worshiping large and small Buddhas and statues of animals.
We then went to a more ancient pagoda, which was entirely different. It was much more officially with gates surrounding it and only one larger Buddha. At this pagoda we came across I live funeral where they were cremating the body as we happened to be there. A very unique experience. So here is a funny story in the hotel we were staying at we could get and hour massage for about 8 dollars. So first off they spoke no English whatsoever so it was hilarious because they were laughing at us an we were laughing at them cause we had not idea what to do. Let me tell you about the ambience of the place: I had space ship wallpaper mixed with bamboo while the music was a mix between elevator and jazz. It first started off great we got into two different types of saunas. Then I went into the room and she literally jumped on top of me. At one point she was even standing on top of me since they have bars above the bed in order to get her full body into my back. She would crack my entire body from my shoulders, neck and even my toes (hahah funny huh? mom) At one point she had a wooden stick that she was pressing into the pressure points all around my foot. The next morning I woke up with bruises up and down my legs. I am glad I did it but I would never do it again. It was so painful.
February 28th
We woke up early and went to the floating market, which was he largest in the Delta. Every single boat had something different from watermelon, to pineapple, and even a coffee shop on one of the boats. It is constantly moving and floating around as you swift through all the different boast. There were easily about 40-50 different boats. We tried a pineapple form one of the boats and they had the tree branch on the boat and picked the one we wanted. The cut it up so we were eating it like a popsicle. It was probably the freshest fruit I will ever have. We spent the rest of the trying getting back to HCMC as it took about four hours because of the ferrys. At night a bunch of us went out to dinner and the out to a few different clubs and bars. They were very different as we were the only white people in them. The music was extremely loud I could hardly even think. I have grown really used to being starred out and being the ones that dont seem to belong. I honestly, kinda enjoy it. Before dinner I went and tried on my dress and it was the wrong color, style and everything! I had to design a completely new dress and they were going to have it ready the next day
they had it down and it fits great!! Yahoo.
March 1st
Today we woke up early to meet with Fawns Cousin. Fawn lives in the States and does our manicure and pedicures at home she set me up to hang out with her cousin. I was really fortunate that we were able to connect with her for the day, which to me explains a lot of how the people are in Vietnam. All I had was an address of where we were planning on meeting her. We took a one of the motorbikes as a taxi to try and find her. As you know the motor bikes are extremely scary but really fun!! We finally found her and she was taking us to to the Chu Chi tunnels. It is about 2 hours outside of the city. The tunnels were hot, small, and extremely hidden. I have never seen anything like them. Its really hard to describe what I was feeling because it was uncomfortable being in a place where so many Americans and people have died. Our tour guide was often laughing when describing the traps where people had died, which was obviously completely awful. The forest near the tunnels is so thick and you could hardly see past a few yards. I cant expand now because I need to process everything first before I tell everyone about it. It was a hard thing for me to see.
After the tunnels we went out to lunch with her, Hoa. I loved meeting her and talking with her. She was very nice and explained a lot of the history, people, and about her family. She took us to a market after lunch and helped us try and bargain. However, most of the time she would laugh at us. I am extremely thankful for meeting us and hanging out with us the entire day. She even gave us a ride on her motorbike! Ha As we were trying t find our way back to the ship we ran into a Tutti Frutti!!! Ha It was great! We left Vietnam that night.
When the tag on my shirt says Vietnam I will never look at it the same because know I now I know how the people live and what they are experiencing. Its having an appreciation of the local and globalization haha.
Now on for India
and I get to look at Singapore but do not get to get off the ship
Thursday, March 4, 2010
Vietnam
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I have sooo enjoyed reading your blog. Each one gets better than the last if that is possible!! Thank you for sharing your incredible experiences!! Margaret
ReplyDeleteIt took me a very long time to figure out how to comment. Hope I can remember my password again!!
ReplyDelete